Thursday, November 30, 2023

Editorial: ‘Cartoon Ignites Local Activist’s Hauteur’

The following editorial comment was broadcast recently on Heritageville’s WBLO-TV Channel 13. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the positions of WBLO-TV. 

Really? Really?!
  Local gadfly Morgan Musone thinks he’s being clever with his hurtful cartoon attacking Bodies of Colour.
  I think it’s offensive.
  Let me explain. It takes a great deal of self-discovery to be able to verbalise my feelings about situations. But always phrasing it in the ‘first person’ makes it easier for me to explain my solipsistic worldview. Therefore, I think this cartoon is offensive.
  Enough with this scapegoating of The Other for various and sundry evils in our midst!
  Even the cartoon’s caption is offensive:
  “Why would one knowingly move to a place they hate? Oh: €€€.”
  This looks like HateSpeak pure and simple. I’m not one of Those People but if I were, I would be deeply offended at this, since I’m unable to see any humour in it whatsoever. Whilst I am on at it, let me just be offended on their behalf. You’re welcome.
  Let’s get down to it: The cartoon verges on terrorist-shaming. Mr Musone also could have used a strong female character in the illustration, but intentionally chose not to!
  Now, unfunniness alone doesn’t offend me, nor does having Drawing Privilege. But when a generally shoddy quality of cartoon is combined with disrespect at progressive mascots, then I feel that something should be said!
  With all due respect to freedom of expression and all that crap, could someone just consider giving Mr Musone the sack from whatever job he has? I am not just asking this as retribution for this unkind cartoonist’s violent attitudes but also for the mocking execution with which he presents those attitudes. Thank you. I feel much better now.

— Meghan C., Heritageville

No comments: